The diabetes It has become one of the diseases that most tend to worry today many doctors and nutritionists, due to the annual increase in people who, every year, are diagnosed with this disease.
Although there is a type of diabetes whose causes can be genetic, in the so-called type 2 diabetes The reality is that it is a disease that can be prevented in most cases.
How? Maintaining a healthy lifestyle, following a healthy and balanced diet, maintaining a normal weight (you can know your ideal weight using our BMI calculator), and enjoying a lot more active life (or what is the same : get away from the dangerous sedentary lifestyle).
However, when the diagnosis of diabetes occurs it is normal for many people to ask an obvious question: What to eat when I have diabetes?
What foods to eat when you have diabetes
- Fruits, vegetables and vegetables : it is recommended to consume 5 servings a day of fresh fruits and vegetables. Or what is the same: between 400 to 500 grams daily. The best? Combine the consumption of raw and cooked pieces. Onions and garlic are recommended.
- Vegetables : three times a week, well cooked and, if possible, in the form of sprouts.
- Whole grains : the ideal is to consume whole grains every day, without exceeding their consumption to avoid intestinal problems. Ideally, 100 grams / day.
- Fish and seafood : you can eat up to 3 times a week, including 1 or 2 servings of blue fish. The best preparation options is to cook them steamed or baked.
- meats : 2 to 3 servings a week, especially white meats such as chicken, rabbit or turkey.
- Eggs : it is advisable to consume 2 to 3 eggs a week. Of course, never fried.
- Oils : include in the diet olive oil or wheat germ oil (about 30 grams per day maximum). Avoid sunflower and corn oil.
Adequate nutrition for diabetes
A proper nutrition for diabetes Basically, it is based on a diet where you can eat everything but in moderation, not lacking in the daily diet fiber, which decreases the need for insulin while improving blood sugar levels.
The ideal within this type of nutrition is to moderate the consumption of proteins, since it is enough just to take enough to cover basic needs.
You should restrict your fat intake, especially if you have high levels of bad cholesterol (LDL). Of course, it is true that fats themselves have no direct effect on glucose levels, but on the overweight, a factor that, as you know, is very associated with diabetes.
Trying to substitute sugar for sweeteners that are not nutritious is another very good idea, at the same time that you divide the meals into 5 or 6 servings a day, since in this way it is better to control the circulating glucose in the blood.
If you want to know some tips and more tips, we advise you to read the following notes:
- Beneficial foods for diabetics
- Good food for diabetes
- Calories and diabetes
Image | catsper