As you surely know, the meatballs They basically consist of balls of minced meat, which are usually made with beef (especially veal or cow), and sometimes also prepared with fish. These balls are mixed with eggs and other condiments (among which stand out parsley, cumin, garlic ...) and become a popular dish in many parts of the world.
Its history seems to go back to the year 1573, when the historian Luis del Marmol documents in his book General description of Africa the following: "they sell noodles, almojábanas and meatballs made of minced meat with spices and fried in oil". Already at that time the meatballs were known precisely with the name with which we know them today.
However, although traditionally they are made with meat or fish, there are also vegan or vegetarian variables, in which these two ingredients (and some other more of animal origin, such as eggs) are substituted, by options natural
Among those natural options we can mention ingredients like Son , he seitan or the tofu , which result in deliciously nutritious balls, similar in texture to traditional meatballs, but without much more animal origin.
How to make vegan meatballs without meat
- 2 cups of millet
- 1/2 carrot
- 2 onions
- 1/2 whole wheat flour
Preparation of millet dumplings:
- Let's proceed first to cook the millet. To do this put the millet in a fine sieve and wash it well under the tap. Then drain it. Now put a pan on the heat and lightly sift it. To finish, put water in a saucepan and add the millet in hot water. When the water begins to boil, reduce to a gentle heat and let it cook for 20 minutes (or until it has a spongy texture).
- Peel the onions and chop them well. Wash the carrot, cut it in half and spray it very well.
- Now put all the ingredients (including the chopped parsley) in a bowl and mix everything well.
- Separate the portions of the size you prefer, and make round balls with the help of your hands.
- If you wish, you have two options to cook them: in a pan or in the oven. If you are going to make them in the oven, heat the oven a little before at 170ºC of temperature. Line a tray with baking paper and when it is hot cook the meatballs for 15 or 20 minutes (until golden brown). If you prefer the pan, put a little olive oil in the pan and when it is hot brown the meatballs on one side and on the other.
- 300 gr. of seitan
- 2 onions
- Whole wheat flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 little curry
Preparation of the seitan meatballs:
- Cut the seitan into small cubes. Peel the clove of garlic and cut it into small pieces too. Now in the glass of the blender or in the kitchen robot crush the seitan, garlic and parsley.
- Now in a large bowl make a mixture of flour and water. For this, use 3 tablespoons of flour and 5 of cold water. When it forms an avoca paste the seitan crushed in it, mixing well with the hands.
- For everything to be added, add another 3 or 4 tablespoons of flour.
- With the help of hands make the typical shape of the meatballs. To finish, flour them a little above.
- Put olive oil in a frying pan and fry them by browning them well on both sides. Reserve them.
- To finish, peel the onions and cut them into small cubes. Put them in the same pan and sauté them on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Now, when the onion is done, add the meatballs and half a glass of water, and cook until the water evaporates completely.
- 3 cups of fine oat flakes
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 and a half cups of water
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper powder
Preparation of oat meatballs:
- In a large bowl put the oatmeal flakes and season to taste. Chop the garlic very thin and add them to the bowl. Add cumin and black pepper too.
- Put the water in a saucepan and put it on the fire until it starts to boil. Then put the hot water in the bowl of oatmeal and mix well, but without going over the amount of water.
- Now add the flour and knead well with the help of your hands.
- Make balls to give them the shape of meatballs.
- Put olive oil in a pan and fry the meatballs, browning on both sides. Lists