Although commonly referred to infusions to any drink prepared from submerging a part of a plant in boiling water, it is necessary to know that there are different types of healthy drinks depending on their form of preparation: tisanes , infusions and, in itself, decoctions .
Therefore, before knowing how each of them can be developed, the key is to know and discover what their main differences are, because although they are similar, the way of preparation tends to differentiate a bit. Photo: Milaspage / Istockphoto
What are the main differences between tisane, infusion and decoction?
For example, tisanes They are prepared by immersing the herbs in the boiling water, instead of using flowers or leaves of the plant itself.
The infusions (popularly used in many Natural therapies ), are obtained by immersing the leaves or flowers of very different plants in boiling water, or in boiling water.
And, finally, the decoctions they are carried out with the use of the roots or hard parts of the plants, and may even be accompanied by a reduction in the volume of the water, which will also help to increase the concentration of the different healthy substances of what we are preparing.
How to prepare tisane, infusion and decoction step by step
As we have seen, there are certainly interesting differences between a tisane, an infusion and a decoction. So, as we can see and see below, we also find differences in the way of preparation (not only in the form of production itself, but the time of infusion and others).
Photo: MariyaSiyanko / Istockphoto
Here we explain the steps to follow according to the natural drink you are going to prepare:
- How to prepare the infusion: Basically you have to put water in a saucepan and heat it to the fire. Once hot pour the water on the parts of the plant or more tender grass (such as leaves and flowers). Cover the saucepan and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- How to prepare tisane: Put the amount of water you want to make the drink, and place it in a saucepan on the fire. Add the plants and herbs with which you are going to prepare the tisane (30 grams or 3 tablespoons per liter of water are recommended), and let it boil. Then turn off the heat and let the drink sit for 15 minutes.
- How to prepare the decoction: Put in a saucepan or casserole a teaspoon of dried root or herb for each cup of water. Add the water and bring to a boil. Then, lower the heat and let the water simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Finally filter the decoction and serve.
Suggestions for making tisanes, infusions and decoctions
- It is more advisable to put water to heat the fire than to use the microwave, since steam bubbles are created that favor then obtaining all the properties and virtues of the plant, leaf, grass or root that we are going to take.
- Use mineral water as long as the tap water is very chlorinated or cloudy.
- It is necessary to know that, according to the time of infusion, they tend to change the medicinal effects of the plant that we are boiling. For this reason, it would take more than 10 minutes to extract most of the healthiest substances, despite the fact that after 3 to 5 minutes the infusion has a better taste.
- The decoctions are made in a very different way to the infusions, since, in these cases, it is advisable to leave the roots in contact with the cold water for approximately 5 or 10 minutes, and then boil them slowly for 15 to 30 minutes.
On the other hand, as is evident, it is not advisable to sweeten drinks , since in this way we will tend to mask the natural flavor that they will offer us. In addition, we will add empty calories to a drink that actually offers us many health benefits.