He tiger mosquito or aedes albopictus It is an insect belonging to the family of culicidae It is characterized by having a black thorax and abdomen decorated with other shades. It has a total length of between 5 and 10 mm and the females have a thin and elongated trunk that they use to extract the blood of mammals and birds.
During this process, the tiger mosquito also takes advantage to develop its own eggs. After this, he applies an anticoagulant substance that he uses to extract blood from guests and then store it inside his own body. Photo: GordZam / Istockphoto
Finally, it should be noted that this is an invasive species native to Southeast Asia, although over the past centuries it has spread to all of Africa, America, and Europe and even to some areas of the Pacific in the early 80's. The tiger mosquito is included in the list of the 100 most harmful invasive alien species in the world according to the GEEI.
- The best natural repellents for mosquitoes
What are the symptoms of the tiger mosquito bite?
Because it is an insect that has come to live in any corner of the planet , more and more people are more exposed to their bites . In most cases, the Poison effect does not usually last more than 3 or 4 days . During this time, the following may appear symptom:
- Inflammation of the skin . The poison creates an allergic effect on our skin, producing a slight inflammation and redness of our skin on the affected area.
- It is also very common that rashes appear on our skin after the bite of the tiger mosquito.
- Itching and generalized pain. As with any mosquito bite, it is normal to experience itching and generalized pain, especially in the affected area.
- Infection. It is possible that if we scratch too much, the area of the bite will become slightly infected.
- Anaphylactic shock. Only in the most severe cases can an asthma attack or anaphylactic shock occur which should be treated as soon as possible.
Photo: KittisakJirasittichai / Istockphoto
Tips to treat and avoid the bite of the tiger mosquito
Do not worry too much after the bite of the tiger mosquito. It is usually a process something painful and annoying, but that will only last a couple of days as we have explained in the previous section. From there, there are a series of natural remedies that will help you to mitigate your symptoms:
Alcohol, ice and aloe vera
First, the alcohol that you use to heal wounds you can apply directly to the bite of the tiger mosquito with the help of a pair of compresses or cotton . In this way, also we will prevent the zone become infected . You can also apply a little ice To treat the inflamation or stinging . Also, you have the option to use a little aloe vera , a plant that has analgesic effects Y painkillers for the skin
Medications and analgesics
There are at the same time a series of medicines that will help you to treat the bite of tiger mosquitoes. The first one is a series of antihistamines that paralyze the allergy (caused by histamine ) and that are usually very effective since they have an immediate effect. There are also many corticosteroids and analgesics to take orally that have a similar effect.
- How to cure mosquito bites with these natural remedies
In addition, to alleviate some of the pain, itching and swelling produced by the bite of this type of mosquito, it is best to wash the area first of all with soap and water.
We can apply different home remedies such as:
- Baking soda , applying bicarbonate diluted in water on the bite to reduce stinging and swelling.
- He ice , this is undoubtedly one of the best and most frequent options to any bite or swelling that we have on the skin.
- Topical anesthetic that contains praxomina, because this component will help to reduce pain and itching.
- He ibuprofen or some anti-inflammatory drug can reduce the swelling and redness that the bite produces.
Photo: flubydust / Istockphoto
Is it possible to avoid the bites of tiger mosquitoes?
There are several options to avoid tiger mosquito bites. One of them is simply cover with not too garish clothes Both the lower and upper extremities when we go to a place with too much moisture. We can also install mosquito nets or anti mosquito lamps in our home Finally, the citronella bracelets They are also a very effective option to consider.
In any case, if the bite persists in the days it is convenient to go to the doctor and in the previous days not to scratch or rub, it is necessary to avoid any contact so as not to cause more damage on the skin.