He sodium bicarbonate (also popularly known by the name of sodium bicarbonate or baking soda ) consists of a solid compound of crystalline appearance and texture, white in color which is water soluble with a slightly alkaline taste. Basically it is a white powder that we can find naturally in Nature or that can be produced industrially.
It is a really cheap product that we could almost consider basic in many houses, with incredible properties and health benefits, and a very great diversity of uses. And it not only provides qualities for the treatment or relief of certain ailments or health problems, but it can be used for cleaning the home or preparing food.
In fact, sodium bicarbonate is usually used in confectionery with the aim of helping the dough rise, providing flavor and volume. While it can also be used for cleaning the home for its abrasive qualities and deodorants (in fact, rubbing with a cloth the sodium bicarbonate is able to clean the silver). It is widely used when cleaning the refrigerator.
The benefits of sodium bicarbonate for health
Helps relieve heartburn
As we mentioned in a previous note in which we talked about the qualities of the baking soda and lemon for stomach acidity , is an effective remedy for relieve heartburn , helping in a positive way when it comes to reducing their annoying symptoms: burning and burning that goes up through the chest to the throat, cough, pharyngitis, nausea, sleep disturbances and bad taste in the mouth. Therefore, it stands out as a wonderful antacid , able to neutralize the acid transforming it into sodium chloride.
Regulates high blood cholesterol levels
Some scientific studies have found that drinking mineral water with sodium bicarbonate helps reduce high cholesterol levels in the blood , especially the levels of LDL cholesterol (also known as bad cholesterol). Therefore, it helps improve our cardiovascular health, being useful in turn to prevent related diseases.
Reduces pain caused by ulcers
Taking 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda in a large glass of water is a useful natural option at the time of reduce the pain caused by the presence of ulcers , since it helps to quickly neutralize the acid present in the stomach.
Useful for reducing uric acid
In case of high uric acid , sodium bicarbonate is a very useful natural option when it comes to reducing high levels of this acid. The truth is that, in reality, it is not only beneficial in this case, but in general helps combat the excess of acids present in the body , not only uric acid but also oxalic acids.
Good cleansing of the liver
Sodium bicarbonate is a useful natural remedy in liver cleansing , something that is advisable to do at least once a year. It is useful not only at the time of purify the liver , but it is appropriate in case of certain disorders and liver diseases, as for example is the case of fatty liver .
Other benefits of baking soda
The truth is that sodium bicarbonate is interesting and useful not only to enjoy good health and treat certain disorders and medical problems, but also is suitable for different skin conditions:
- Exfoliating : sodium bicarbonate, due to its texture, is an excellent exfoliant of the skin not only of the face but also of the body. You can make an exfoliating paste of 3 tablespoons of baking soda per 1 tablespoon of water.
- Relax tired feet : in case of having tired feet a natural useful option to relax is to warm a tub or basin with hot water and add 3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Relieves insect bites : Baking soda is useful to reduce and alleviate the discomfort caused by insect bites, by relieving itching. Simply rub a bit of dry powder on the bite, or make a paste with water and apply it.
- Natural deodorant : sodium bicarbonate can act as a natural deodorant, reducing the bad smell caused by underarm sweat. To enjoy this quality, just apply a little sodium bicarbonate mixed with water in the armpits.
- Useful for cleaning teeth : sodium bicarbonate, used as if it were a mouthwash, is excellent for neutralizing the bacteria present in the mouth, responsible for dental plaque.
- Dental bleaching helps to clean and whiten teeth, fighting dental plaque in turn. It is not advisable to use it more than once a week, since otherwise it could damage the gums.
Images | iStock