Adolescence is that stage in life in which we leave behind childhood to gradually become adults. It involves both physical and emotional changes and involves several phases or stages and occurs earlier in girls than in boys.
The first phase is puberty or adolescence and begins between 10 years and up to 14 years in girls, and children between 11 years and 15 years. The second phase is the average adolescence that comprises up to 19 years old. The third phase is when you reach youth that comprises between 20 years and 24 years.
As we have said before, it is a time of changes, physical changes, sexual changes, psychological changes, social changes. In these periods of change it is important to pay attention to food of our adolescents, do not neglect it to complete that process and that its growth and development is appropriate.
In addition to a healthy and balanced diet, physical activity, avoid sedentary lifestyle, we must increase your energy level through food and thus help you keep your brain active, and to face those changes with strength.
Essential foods for the adolescent
The following foods should not be missed in your diet:
- Maintain good hydration , drinking between 2 liters and 2 and a half liters of water.
- Natural juices without added sugar . The best ones are freshly made at home, no packaged fruit juices (which, by the way, only have sugars).
- Vegetables, fruits and vegetables , in portions distributed, between lunch, snack, dinner.
- Foods rich in vitamin A and D It will help them absorb calcium: milk, blue fish, 3 servings of milk per day and blue fish 3 times per week.
- Foods rich in Omega 3 fatty acids , like all blue fish.
- Red meat: once a week.
- White meats: 3 or 5 times a week.
- Nuts: walnuts are rich in vitamin B6, folic acid, Omega 3, tryptophan, it is advisable to eat 2 or 3 walnuts a day. Also the peanuts, rich in proteins, which helps them to have energy and increase the physical and intellectual level, as well as to favor the development of the bones and muscles of adolescents. Sprinkle peanuts over pasta dishes, salad, rice, batter chicken or turkey with sprinkled peanut.
- Foods rich in minerals like iron, zinc, phosphorus, iodine, vitamin B12:
- Other essential foods such as: lentils, spinach, oats, wholemeal bread, red meat, chickpeas, squash, sesame seeds, fish, whole grains, seaweed, seafood, sea salt, eggs, chicken meat, liver, lamb meat, brewer's yeast.
- Whole grains and legumes 3 times a week.
- Oatmeal bars, raisins or nuts such as walnuts or hazelnuts mid-morning, will provide magnesium , carbohydrates, which will provide you with long-term energy.
- Avoid sweets or very sugary foods, produce energy quickly and then produce sluggishness and hunger.
In addition to promoting the good development of adolescents with food It is also important to encourage him to practice some sport or the physical activity that you like the most and avoid a sedentary lifestyle.
It is a very important stage in life when the child leaves childhood to become an adult, and in many cases they become irritable.
Parents must be vigilant, encourage dialogue with them-to pay attention and generate a climate of trust and love to come to us and tell us if they have or go through any problem, that they speak of their fears, fears, your doubts, about sexuality.
Also warn them about the danger of alcohol abuse, drugs and prevention against sexually transmitted diseases, or early pregnancies.