Metabolism (also known as basal metabolism ) is the set of chemical reactions that allow us to obtain the energy of all those foods that we eat daily. It basically consists of the amount of energy consumed by an individual in a resting state.
Depending on the amount of energy that the person consumes while in that state of rest, it is said that he has a fast or slow metabolism.
What is the slow metabolism?
If the person in this state has an expense lower than that considered normal, it tends to burn little fat and it is stored in greater quantity, which causes overweight or obesity. And this means that this person has a slow metabolism .
That is, the body of the person in a resting state has a caloric expenditure much lower than what could be considered normal.
Causes of slow metabolism
- Hypothyroidism : it becomes one of the most common causes. If the thyroid gland does not work properly (gland that regulates both metabolism and caloric expenditure) causes the appearance of a slow metabolism, and consequently the appearance of overweight. The solution is to take the medication prescribed by our doctor, given that it is a revertible medical situation, and then allows normalizing the metabolism.
- Food intolerances and allergies : are causes that are generally unknown. But the truth is that this type of intolerance and allergies cause poor digestion of food, causing a slow metabolism.
- Other non-organic causes : there are also other causes, considered as non-organic, that can cause the appearance of a slow metabolism. The most common are eating too fast, not practicing physical exercise and drinking very little or no water.
Consequences of slow metabolism
When the person has a slow metabolism, it is usual for his body to burn very little fat, so the most direct consequence is that it is stored in his body in a much higher proportion than normal.
This means that the person is more at risk of overweight and obesity, if the appropriate solutions are not taken to reduce it.
Is it possible to change the slow metabolism?
Although in a certain sense it is quite difficult to lose weight when the person has a slow metabolism, the follow-up of an adequate diet to lose weight little by little and the practice of daily physical exercise translates into one of the best solutions for change the slow metabolism .
To achieve it, it is possible accelerate the slow metabolism following the following guidelines:
- Practice high intensity physical exercise daily, for at least 30 minutes each day.
- Increase your muscle mass, which helps burn many more calories than fat.
- Make 5 or 6 meals a day.
- Certain foods, such as citrus fruits, dairy products and beverages rich in caffeine, help speed up metabolism.
Image | faty25