Although mole eggs they are a traditional and characteristic dessert very popular in the Canary Islands (from where in fact they traditionally come from), did you know that also in Granada or Jaén there is a similar dessert that is usually known by this name? In these two places they are also referred to as snowy eggs , where it is common to enjoy during Holy Week.
Be that as it may, the truth is that it is a fresh dessert that can be enjoyed at any time of the year. In fact, in the Canary Islands it is so, so that specifically it is not a dessert reserved only for certain popular festivities, but it is customary to consume it on any special day of the year.
Particularly, in the Canary Islands it is common to accompany it with the traditional and equally popular millo gofio , another characteristic food of this wonderful archipelago.
- 10 egg yolks
- 250 g of sugar
- 1/2 liter of water
- The peel of 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Gofio de millo
How to prepare Canarian mole eggs
- We are going to prepare the ingredients. To do this, wash the lemon well and carefully remove its shell, reserving it.
- Now we have to prepare a delicious and sweet syrup. To do this, put a saucepan in the water, the rind or lemon peel, the sugar and the cinnamon stick. Heat over medium heat and continue to boil until firm. To avoid sticking it is convenient to remove from time to time. When the syrup is at the point (a little thick) carefully remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon peel.
- In a large bowl separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the yolks well until they are well creamy.
- Little by little, with the warm syrup, add the egg yolks beaten little by little while stirring with the help of an electric beater.
- Now, in a bain-marie and on a very mild fire (without letting it boil), put the mixture of syrup and egg yolks until the mixture thickens, stirring from time to time.
- Once the eggs are very thick, remove them from the heat. With the help of the whisk again beat everything until you get a mixture as smooth and creamy as possible.
- When you have managed to reserve it until they cool down. Then pour in glasses of glass and reserve them in the fridge that you are going to consume them.
In the Canary Islands, in addition, it is very common to accompany the eggs mole with canary gofio . How? Very simple: the common thing is to serve the egg cream mole with a bowl with gofio de millo, so that everyone can choose to serve their own gofio or not, and in the quantity that they like the most.
The truth is that it is a wonderful mixture, because the softness, creaminess and sweetness of the egg cream is perfectly combined not only with the texture of the gofio, but with its slightly bitter taste.
Images | Guache (Courtesy of Cookpad) / The Kitchen of Eva Style (It smells good!)