Premature ovarian failure: what is it?
He premature ovarian failure , occurs in women before 40 and is the interruption of the activity of the ovaries.
This failure occurs because the woman's ovaries stop producing oocytes in the ovaries before the usual time.
Any woman who has this type of problem, will stop ovulating because the ovary no longer produces neither progesterone nor estrogen and menstruation will stop appearing.
Symptoms of premature ovarian failure
Due to the estrogen deficiency, symptom which are presented are the most similar to when menstruation occurs.
The amenorrhea before time is one of the causes that draws more attention to women and the main reason why they go to the gynecologist .
Other symptoms that appear can be:
- Hormonal alterations
- Hot flushes
- Decrease in sexual desire
Causes that can cause premature ovarian failure
There are several causes that can lead a woman to suffer this type of problem, some of which are:
- Genetic alterations that are derived from some congenital defect of the chromosomes or in their genes, such as Turner Syndrome, Fragile X Syndrome, etc.
- Toxic agents such as tobacco or pesticides can also cause this failure.
- Autoimmune diseases can also be associated with a premature ovarian failure such as the thyroid, or the adrenal gland.
- Some type of treatment done with radiotherapy or chemotherapy to cure cancer and other diseases can cause the destruction of existing ovules.
Main consequences in women
Women who suffer premature ovarian failure will be more likely to suffer other complications due to the lack of ovulation and the necessary hormones.
They can present: Sterility, Cardiovascular Diseases, Osteoporosis, Depression, etc.
Care of premature ovarian failure
Like many other pathologies, having this type of problem does not prevent people in this case the woman from leading a normal life with some exceptions that we will summarize below, such as:
- Hormone treatment based on estrogen and progesterone.
- Healthy life in all senses, calcium-rich diet, regular exercise, avoid alcohol and tobacco.
- Both mental and emotional health, being in balance not only on the outside but also on the inside will help us to carry this problem with a different and positive attitude.