The option of choosing a nutritious breakfast, and above all that is healthy, is a way to enjoy a meal that will give us the energy we need throughout the morning. And, although it is false that it is the most important meal of the day, it is better to have breakfast than not. Among the foods we can choose, the oats It becomes an excellent opportunity, do you know why?
It consists of a tremendously nutritious cereal, obtained from the cultivation of a series of plants which belong to the family of the Poaceae. Specifically, among them, the most common is the one known as Avena Sativa . Thus, from a nutritional point of view, oatmeal stands out for its interesting contribution in proteins of good quality (or high biological value), its richness in complex carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals and fiber.
For all this, Oatmeal becomes an excellent choice for breakfast , and in short, for practically any meal throughout the day, since it is a nutritious and healthy food. But for breakfast it is even more interesting, given that thanks to its contribution in complex carbohydrates, it is able to give us energy slowly, providing satiety and without causing high peaks of blood sugar.
Although the most common is to elaborate the traditional oat porridge , the truth is that it is such a versatile food that we can prepare other wonderful preparations. A good example is the oatmeal cream about whose recipe we want to talk to you on this occasion. Do you dare to prepare it with us ?.
- 4 tablespoons of fine oat flakes
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of bitter cocoa powder
- 1 handful of nuts to taste (almonds, walnuts and hazelnuts)
If you do not have fine oatmeal flakes, and you have thick ones, to obtain them it will be enough to place them in the glass of the blender and crush them a few seconds. The reason why we choose the fine flakes instead of the thick ones is because the fine ones allow us to enjoy a cream with a softer and more consistent texture, more pleasant when eating it.
- Once this is done, put the milk in a saucepan along with the oatmeal flakes. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly to prevent oats from sticking to the bottom. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the liquid has thickened and you get a cream.
- Remove from heat, place in a small bowl or bowl and let cool a little.
- At the moment of eating add the tablespoons of bitter cocoa on top and pour a handful of nuts to taste.
If you wish, you can sweeten with panela or with honey, although I personally do not advise it: the best thing is not to use any type of sweetener. In any case, as you can see, it is a delicious preparation that is extremely easy to prepare, so that in just 10 minutes we can enjoy a full breakfast, healthy and also very nutritious.
Other alternatives to oatmeal with cocoa and nuts
If our recipe does not convince you much, or you do not have any of the ingredients, we suggest other alternatives and equally delicious options:
- If you do not want the cream to taste a lot of cocoa, you can choose to sprinkle some cocoa powder on top, without mixing.
- You can add fruit to taste. For example, banana or strawberries are really delicious, and they combine perfectly with the smooth texture of the cream and the strong flavor of bitter cocoa.
- If you love chocolate as much as we do, you can try adding some pieces of dark chocolate on top. The result will surprise you.
On the other hand, if you follow a type of vegan or vegetarian food, or do not consume milk of animal origin, you can substitute the milk cup for another vegetable option. For example, the oat milk It is combined very well, although the hazelnut vegetable drink will provide a curious and exquisite hazelnut flavor that, with the cocoa, will be even better.