When a person is diagnosed arterial hypertension It is quite usual for your doctor to reduce or even eliminate your salt intake through diet.
The key is, on the one hand, to eliminate from our diet those salt rich foods , and in discovering some useful basic health guidelines or tips at the time of reduce salt in our diet .
But considering that salt stands out for its sodium content, and that sodium is an essential mineral for our body, the key is to look alternatives to salt that provide us with that sodium necessary for the proper functioning of our body.
And it is that these alternatives, completely healthy, can be considered as authentic natural seasonings , that in addition to being healthy give us flavor and aroma to our dishes.
The best natural seasonings
The natural seasonings They have the advantage that they are healthy seasonings, generally low in calories, which in addition to giving us flavor and aroma to our dishes, help us to substitute the salt of them.
In addition, as they are natural, they provide us with greater benefits and properties than the salt itself.
Here we summarize the main seasonings that could become an excellent healthy and natural option for your dishes as salt substitutes:
Spices and herbs
They are the best substitutes and alternatives to salt that exist from a point of view not only natural, but also nutritional. Depending on the dish we are going to eat or that we are preparing, the choice of one spice or another will give us a different flavor or aroma.
- Basil : brings a strong aroma to the dishes. Ideal to combine with pasta, rice, tomatoes, eggs, eggplant and peppers.
- Anise : herb widely used in salty dishes. It is able to enhance the flavor of salads and boiled vegetables, while in desserts it provides a slightly more sweet and aromatic flavor.
- Dill : it has a delicate aroma and a slightly spicy flavor. It is ideal to add it to dishes with potatoes, fish (like salmon), soups and peas.
- Tarragon : similar to parsley, it brings flavor to vegetables, salads, mustards and sauces.
- Fennel : similar to anise, but with a stronger flavor. It is useful in salads, fish or soups.
- Laurel : improves the taste of dishes with meat and broths, such as stews or stews.
- Oregano : it is the best known of Italian cuisine for its use in pastas, pizzas or salads, thanks to its aromatic power.
- Parsley : brings a different touch to the dishes to which it is added. It combines very well with salads or dishes with eggs.
- Thyme : used to flavor a wide variety of dishes, including zucchini, potatoes or aubergines.
Commercial seasoning products
Nowadays we can find a great variety of commercial seasonings that basically fulfill the same function as the spices, herbs and plants indicated in the previous section.
But they add an advantage (although they may not be so natural): they are already prepared directly for their culinary use, not having to wash them, dry them, cut them and crush them.
Homemade and commercial broths
They also become another option within the different natural seasonings that can help us reduce the consumption of salt in our diet, but without removing flavor from our dishes.
Although homemade broths are always the best option, we can also find broths in the market that come in bricks, easy to use, consume and store.