If you follow a vegan diet it is quite probable that, in many occasions, you have found yourself facing the problem of not knowing with what to substitute certain foods when preparing a cooking recipe, especially if you opt for normal recipes in which they are used typically normal ingredients.
This 'problem' is true that many vegans find it not only when preparing and preparing recipes in the kitchen. They also find it in their day to day, especially when they eat away from home and, for example, visit a restaurant or a cafeteria at lunchtime.
As you surely know (or maybe not if it is the first time you go into this diet and you pose it), while vegetarian food is based on the elimination of meat and sometimes you can choose to eat food of animal origin but never meat (as is the case of milk or eggs), vegan food is characterized by the total elimination of any food that comes from the animal.
In the case of vegans, it is not only a food option, but an authentic way of life in which they respect animals, considering them precisely as individuals with interests that deserve to be respected.
Therefore, if you follow a vegan diet and lifestyle and you find recipes to prepare at home, it is best to always have on hand and know in advance what foods may be useful to replace those ingredients that you do not consume. This is the case, for example, of the milk and the different dairy products .
Tips to replace milk and milk
How to replace milk
The most usual, how and practical, is replace milk of animal origin (whether cow, goat or sheep) for some plant variety , as is the case soy milk , the rice milk , oat milk wave almond milk .
Although they are obviously not milks in the strict sense of the word, their most exact denomination is that of vegetable drinks.
But for the preparation of different recipes we can also follow some basic recommendations:
- For making drinks: for a coffee, a tea, bowl with cereals ... the best thing is to opt for any vegetable drink, choosing in this case the one you like the most.
- To make vegetable creams, sauces or bechamel: It is best to opt for vegetable drinks that have not been sweetened and that do not contain any type of flavoring or flavoring.
- For smoothies: Whether it's fruit or cereal, the best choices are with rice milk, oat milk or coconut milk.
- For the preparation of desserts: It is better to avoid special flavors that contain flavors (such as vanilla flavors) or that have been sweetened, and opt for pure vegetable drinks such as almond or oatmeal.
How to replace the cream
The cream It is probably one of the dairy products that, as a vegan, could cause you more headaches, especially since it is not as easy to substitute as it is the case of milk.
However, in these cases you have two options: either prepare a vegan cream quickly at home or opt for a variety of ready-made vegan cream that you'll find in herbalists and vegan shops.
- How to make your own vegan cream: you only need 1/2 l. of soy, almond or oat milk, 1 tablespoon of vegetable margarine and a pinch of salt or sugar. Put the vegetable drink in a saucepan together with the margarine and heat over medium heat for one hour. After this time will be ready.
- Vegan creams in herbalists: You can find them in your trusted vegan store or herbalists, usually in tetra-brick format. The most common are made with soy or oats, and are specific to cooking.
Finally, you can substitute the cream for soy milk, oatmeal or coconut milk and beat them very well.
How to replace yogurt
He yoghurt It is possibly along with milk, another of the options to replace more comfortable and simple. Why? Very simple: today it is tremendously easy to find flavored vegetable yoghurts, which are made with equally vegetable drinks.
But if you prefer to opt for homemade preparations, it is also possible to elaborate a vegan yogurt easily at home opting for vegetable soya drink or any other vegetable variety (oatmeal or almonds for example are also ideal).
How to replace the cheese
In herbalists and vegan shops it is possible to find vegan versions of popular cheeses today, such as, for example, mozzarella cheese or Parmesan cheese. However, if this is not the case, you can choose the tofu as a good substitute (and that ultimately is nothing more than a kind of cheese made with soy).
A) Yes, the fresh cheese can be replaced perfectly by firm fresh tofu , while for the preparation of lasagna or pizzas you can choose to add very thin slices of tofu on top before cooking them.