The Salt (for its content in sodium ) becomes an essential nutrient for the proper functioning of our body, despite what can be mistakenly believed, the truth is that we tend to consume an excess of this mineral, which becomes a serious problem for our health.
In this sense, we must bear in mind that sodium is one of the elements minerals most prevalent in the blood and in the different extracellular fluids of our organism, having an extremely important role:
- It helps maintain the balance between the various liquids in our body.
- Useful in the maintenance of acid-base balance.
- It participates in the hydration of cells.
- It helps in the normal excitability of the muscles.
In reference to what are the normal sodium needs for an adult person, their consumption should not exceed 1 to 2 grams per day. Although, as we know, the normal contribution of a common daily diet contributes much more (from 5 to 7 grams a day, approximately).
In these cases we must pay attention to the consequences of excessive salt consumption :
- It causes the appearance of heart diseases.
- Increase the risk of arterial hypertension .
- Saturates the kidneys.
- It can cause cerebrovascular accidents.
Therefore, when salt consumption is contraindicated we can take into account the list of foods with a lot of salt that we indicate to you next. Take good note:
350 - 400 mg
400 - 450 mg
Milk and derivatives
If you want to discover more about sodium and salt in health, you can read the following articles:
- Sodium-rich foods
- Food without salt
- Alternatives to salt
Image | Happy Krissy