Once Christmas has ended and there are still some Christmas hangovers, during the month of January We can find in the market certain seasonal foods whose specific optimal period is precisely this month.
But what is meant by seasonal food ? As its name suggests, when we refer to a seasonal food we must understand it as its optimal period of consumption; a period that can depend on its natural maturation process (in the case of fruits, vegetables, and legumes), its breeding and its growth (in the case of fish, meat and seafood).
While it is true that during the month of December we can enjoy delicious mandarins, oranges, grapes, thistles, escaroles, certain mushrooms, cod, sea bream, prawns and mussels, during the month of January we can find the following seasonal foods:
- Vegetables : chard, garlic, artichoke, celery, eggplant, broccoli or broccoli, zucchini, cardoon, onions, red cabbage, cauliflower, lettuce, turnip, cucumber, pepper, leeks, radishes, beet, cabbage, tomato and carrot.
- Vegetables : peas, beans and green beans.
- Fruits : avocados, persimmons, custard apple, strawberries, kiwi, lemon, tangerine, apple, orange, banana and grapefruit.
- meats : capon, pig, suckling pig, quail, rabbit, lamb, criadillas, pheasant, chicken, wild boar, hare, turkey, duck, partridge, chicken, veal and cow.
- Fish : elvers, cod, sea bream, shrimp, carp, halibut, lebanese, sea bass, grouper, pompano, perch, octopus, salmon, shark and trout.
- Seafood : cockles, crayfish, pink lobster, mussels, oysters and scallops.
- Nuts : chestnuts
Discover more about other seasonal foods:
Image | Koshyk