It is quite common that many people do not really know What are trans fats , fats that although they have a plant origin, have been hydrogenated to increase their consistency. During this process an isomer called "trans" is formed, which our organism is unable to eliminate completely, and from which most of the negative effects for health are formed.
Surely you think that, having a plant origin, these types of fats are healthy. But, what if we tell you that you can find them in most of the industrial pastries that are currently sold in the market, salty snacks such as chips, pre-cooked foods or some margarines ?.
There are many Effects of trans fats on health , all of them negative. Among the most dangerous, we must highlight the increased risk of coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and delay and maturation in brain growth.
Therefore, foods rich in trans fats they must be restricted from infant feeding, and in adults, their consumption must be reduced or even eliminated.
But eliminating them is not easy, especially if we are accustomed to eating foods such as biscuits, non-organic sweetened cereals, sliced bread or French fries every week or even every day.
We present you some simple tips useful for reduce the consumption of Trans fat .
How to reduce the consumption of trans fats easily
One of the main ways to reduce the consumption of Trans fat is to voluntarily decrease your consumption in our diet. Although the current Spanish legislation prevents and prohibits its sale and distribution in schools, there is no law that prohibits its sale in other places, or its consumption even in adults.
Therefore, the best thing is simply not to buy this type of food when we go to make the purchase. Or when we are hungry and we are out of the house, choose to eat a piece of fruit, before buying a donut or a bag of chips.
First of all, take good note of the foods that you should reduce or eliminate from your diet:
- Industrial bakery in general : donuts and buns, cookies, croissants, donuts, sugar or chocolate palms, sweets ...
- Snacks and salty snacks : from fried and / or salty nuts (do not forget that, although beneficial and healthy, it is best to consume them in their natural form), even fried potatoes.
- Precooked products : this section includes many products, such as frozen products such as battered fish sticks, steaks or breaded meats.
- Some margarines Although manufacturers have been making margarines without trans fats for years, margarines made from this type of vegetable fats can still be found on the market.
- Non-biological breakfast cereals : sugary breakfast cereals or not. It is best to consume whole grains rich in fiber.
- Bread .
- Ice creams .
How to eliminate trans fats from the diet
At this point it is best to replace the food and food products that we have indicated in the previous section by others much more healthy, healthy and above all natural.
For example, you can consider the following basic tips:
- Change the industrial bakery for fresh fruits . They are equally sweet, and above all little caloric and many more healthy.
- Eliminate snacks and salty snacks . It is better to eat nuts in their natural state, and snacks such as cooked vegetables or olives.
- Replaces pre-cooked products with more natural foods . Avoid buying frozen products and try to make foods as natural as possible, such as fish without batter or precooked.
- Eliminate sugary or processed cereals and replace them with whole grains, rich in fiber . In addition to being healthier, being rich in fiber will help prevent or reduce constipation.
- Replace sliced bread with common bread , which is also much fresher and healthier.
- It's not the same as industrial ice cream that you can drink in an artisan ice cream shop . In any case, the ice creams do not contain trans fats to be more natural, industrial dairy ice cream itself.
Once we follow these basic tips, take note of the following tips:
- Do not go to the supermarket with hunger .
- Read the ingredients of the food product you are going to buy if you have questions .
- Generally, those manufactured products that are not essential must have been made with vegetable oils . Therefore, reduce these products from your diet.
- Opt for a natural and balanced diet .
- Prevent your children from eating this type of food . Eliminate from your diet the foods most commonly consumed by a child, such as cookies or sweets, and replace them with more fruit.
Image | @joefoodie