The kidneys they are organs shaped like a bean that They are in charge of the detoxification and purification of our body , just like the liver. However, in the particular case of the kidneys, they are one of the main filters of our blood , since among other fundamental aspects they purify it by retaining what our organism can take advantage of and eliminates through the urine what it does not really need.
But, among the disorders or problems that most tend to affect the kidneys we find the appearance of stones or stones , which consist of pieces of solid material that are formed inside these organs from different substances found in the urine, the most common being the calcium stones , as the retention of calcium in the kidneys is much more common. That is to say, They are solid pieces of material that is formed in the kidney due to substances present in the urine .
The truth is that a good way to prevent the appearance of kidney stones is to discover what are your causes , because only in this way can we follow a series of guidelines and basic tips that will be very useful when it comes to preventing them from appearing.
What are the causes by which stones or stones are formed in the kidney?
Kidney stones are the result of both the formation and the agglomeration of crystals in the urine, which is highly saturated as a result of the abnormally high concentration of salts, and by the imbalance between the factors that favor and inhibit the concentration of the product of urine.
Fundamentally are caused by high levels of calcium, phosphorus and oxalate in the urine , although we must bear in mind that its causes depend directly on the type of calculation that has been formed:
- Calcium calculations : It is the most common. They occur when part of the calcium is not used by the bones and muscles, and goes to the kidneys, is not eliminated through the urine and accumulates over time.
- Calculations of uric acid : This type of stone is formed when there is too much uric acid in the urine. They arise mainly as a result of following a diet rich in proteins, or after receiving chemotherapy treatment.
- Struvite calculations : tends to be more common in women and are usually composed of ammonia. They are formed especially after the existence of a chronic infection of the urinary tract.
- Cystine stones : it does not tend to be so common, since it is usually caused by a hereditary disease known as cystinuria.
The main risk factors to take into account
Starting from the basis that we already know why stones or kidney stones are formed, and above all what are their main causes, it is very important to discover the risk factor's or what certain habits can influence its appearance:
- Age : have between 20 to 70 years.
- The sex : Men are more predisposed to suffer kidney stones.
- Certain dietary and nutritional habits : as for example follow a diet high in protein and sodium, and also low in fiber.
- Heritage : especially having a family history of kidney stones.
- Do not drink enough fluids .
- Consumption of certain medications .
How can kidney calculations be prevented?
Although some types of kidney stones are hereditary, the most common can be prevented by following a healthy lifestyle. The following basic tips can also help:
- Drink between 1.5 and 2 liters of water every day.
- Follow a diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts.
- Avoid salt intake as much as possible and sugar.
- Reduce excessive consumption in foods especially rich in vitamin C or D.
- Practice regular physical exercise.
- Try to purify the kidneys at least once a year, which will improve its natural functioning.
Images | ISTOCKPHOTO / THINKSTOCK