Also known with the popular name of cream sandwiches , the lioness They consist of wonderful little cakes with a rounded shape, made with choux pasta , which tend to be filled with different creams.
It is usual to confuse them with profiteroles. In fact, many use both denominations as synonyms, but the reality is that the lioneses are a derivative of profiteroles. Moreover, you can find certain differences between these two desserts: while the lioness are usually served stuffed but divided in two, the profiterol is also filled but keeps the rounded shape.
But they do have some characteristics in common. This is the case, for example, of the dough that is used to make both profiteroles and lioneses: the traditional choux pasta .
Originally they are filled with cream (hence the name of cream sandwiches ), although nowadays it is possible to find a wide variety of recipes in which the lioness are filled with creams for very different tastes, such as pastry cream or chocolate ganache.
On this occasion we want to learn to make choux pasta , the mass that is precisely used for the production of profiteroles and lioneses. Do you dare to elaborate it? Take note.
Necessary ingredients (for 50 lionesses or profiteroles):
- 150 g of wheat flour
- 5 eggs
- 150 g of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 l of water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Elaboration of choux pasta:
- Chop the butter and place it in a saucepan. Add the water and salt, and place the saucepan on the fire. When it begins to boil, add the wheat flour at once and stir vigorously until a ball forms.
- Then remove from the fire. Add the eggs (one by one), the yeast, and work with the help of a wooden spatula. If you want you can use a hand mixer at medium speed (if it is more comfortable).
- Understand the oven and set the temperature to 180ºC. While the oven is heating, butter the oven plate (you can use baking paper, and spread the paper with the butter directly).
- Fill a sleeve with a wide curly nozzle and form round buttons about 5-6 centimeters with the dough on the plate, separated from each other to avoid sticking.
- Cook the sweets in the oven for 45 minutes.
- After this time, let them cool. Ready! If you wish, you can fill them to your liking.
What is choux pasta?
The one known as choux pasta It is a tremendously popular type of dough preparation in the French bakery, where it is usual to use it for the preparation of different cakes, which tend to be consumed cold.
It is characterized as a rather light mass , which as we have seen throughout the present recipe, is elaborated using a series of basic ingredients such as, for example, wheat flour, eggs, butter, water and salt.
In addition, it is also possible to include different ingredients with flavoring qualities, such as cinnamon or vanilla essence.
Images | Shutterstock