Unlike what is mistakenly thought, cholesterol is a fundamental fat for our body . In fact, as we saw in a previous note in which we indicated that in reality cholesterol is not bad for health , it is one of the most abundant and most important fats in our body . Why? Fundamentally because with its help plasma membranes are formed, it is a precursor of sex hormones such as testosterone or estrogens, it is a precursor of vitamin D and is the basic component of bile salts whose function is to help our digestive system digest better fats. In fact, cholesterol derives a large amount of different hormones that control different functions of our body, and acts as an energy substrate for the activity of muscles.
So, cholesterol is a fundamental fat for our body as long as it is at levels considered normal . And what are these figures? Normal values are considered below 200 mg / dl of total cholesterol, and normal-high between 200 and 240 mg / dl. Above these levels there is a higher risk of cardiovascular diseases, multiplying the risk of heart attacks or strokes or angina pectoris as a result of the lack of blood supply to a part of the heart.
How to reduce high levels of fats in the blood?
At the time of lower high cholesterol It is very important to change our eating habits: it is appropriate to reduce the intake of saturated fats and opt for foods rich in healthy fatty acids such as blue fish and nuts, reduce and eliminate very fatty and fried foods and opt for a more natural diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables.
It is also important to practice physical exercise on a regular basis, opting mainly for aerobic exercises which help to burn fat present in the body.
To reduce high levels of cholesterol in the blood there are also certain plants and medicinal herbs with which we can make different healing infusions to lower the cholesterol . On this occasion we wanted to unify several plants with recognized anti-cholesterol action with the aim of increasing their qualities.
How to make an infusion against cholesterol
- 1 teaspoon dandelion root
- 1 teaspoon of milk thistle
- 1 teaspoon artichoke
- 1 teaspoon of hair tail
- 1 cup of water
Steps to prepare the anti-cholesterol infusion
Put in a saucepan the equivalent of one cup of water and add the indicated amounts of the plants and herbs mentioned above. Let it cook for 3 minutes until it boils. Once it starts to boil, boil for 5 minutes. After this time turn off the heat, cover and let rest another 3 minutes. Strain and serve in a cup.
How to take this anti-cholesterol infusion
It is advisable to take this infusion 3 times a day for a month, preferably at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
What are their benefits against cholesterol?
- Dandelion : contains inositol, a substance that helps reduce cholesterol. It also provides certain principles with effective action to reduce the negative effects of fats in the arteries.
- Milk thistle : it is a wonderful plant very beneficial for the purification and care of the liver, acting as an excellent hepatoprotector and regenerator of liver cells. It helps to dissolve and eliminate fats naturally.
- Alcachofera : it is another healing plant with recognized anti-cholesterol action, since it also helps to purify the liver and kidneys.
- Horse tail : one of the most depurative and diuretic plants par excellence, helps both reduce the presence of fat in the arteries and prevent fluid retention.
Images | Zoonar / O.Kovach / Getty Images