The kidneys are two fundamental organs in the process of purification, detoxification and cleaning of our own body, hence we should consider them as the main filters of our blood . Why? Very simple: they are in charge of filtering the waste of the blood, selecting what our body can take advantage of, and finally eliminating what it does not need through the urine. We could say, in fact, that they work in line with the liver , another fundamental organ within the process of detoxification of our body, as well as ultimately essential for our life.
As we have already explained to you several times, the kidneys consist of two organs shaped like beans, beans or beans , which can reach 13 centimeters long and 8 centimeters wide. We find them located in the posterior abdominal cavity, and there is the curious circumstance that the right kidney is located a bit more above the left, resting on the liver.
Since they are indispensable organs in the detoxification and purification of our organism, in addition to carrying out other important functions (such as the regulation of blood pressure, the adequate hydrosaline balance, or participate in the production of certain hormones), maintaining good kidney health is vital to also enjoy good health in general.
Therefore, when there is a disease or pathology of the kidneys, certain symptoms or signs arise, and our health tends to worsen (although dialysis has become an indispensable technique for those whose renal function is diminished or null).
The most common symptoms of kidney disease
Although when suffering from some type of condition or pathology, certain symptoms or signs that can help the medical professional to suspect what disorder the patient is suffering may arise, the truth is that in the case of kidney disease, it is very common for no symptoms to appear or for them to appear when the renal pathology has already advanced a lot , until almost reach the point of affecting the totality of renal function.
This is what happens, for example, with a chronic renal failure . However, when there is an acute renal failure or other pathology such as the presence of kidney stones or cysts, it is true that certain symptoms appear. The most common are the following:
- Nausea and vomiting : can be caused by painful cramps caused by the presence of kidney stones, or by the accumulation of waste in the blood (uremia).
- Arterial hypertension : it is one of the most clear symptoms of malfunction of the kidneys, since its function is not adequate or sufficient to regulate or control blood pressure correctly.
- Colic type pain : arises especially in the presence of stones or stones in the kidneys. This pain tends to radiate to the lower back or back, and is characterized by being extremely painful to the point of causing nausea and vomiting.
- Changes in urine : the urine can become more turbid or reddish (symptom indicative of the presence of blood in it). It is also possible that you urinate less or that it costs more to urinate normally.
- Accumulation of waste in the blood : When the kidneys do not work correctly or properly, different wastes begin to accumulate in the blood, as is the case with the high creatinine or the urea. These signs appear above all in the results of a blood test, whether routine or not (given that they are parameters that are usually analyzed and taken into account for the study).
- Little energy, fatigue and weakness : when the kidneys are sick and are not able to eliminate waste and toxins it is common for our mood to decline, for us to feel more irritated, weak and tremendously tired.
Useful tests and tests to know if there is a disease in the kidney
In addition to the signs and symptoms that may arise when suffering from a pathology or kidney disease the doctor may prescribe the performance of certain tests and tests of both urine and blood useful to know the presence or absence of a disorder, especially to find out if renal function is or is not diminished and in what percentage. The most common are the following:
- Abdominal ultrasound : it is useful to observe the kidneys both externally and internally, and discover the presence of cysts or masses (for example tumors), as well as whether the blood circulation is adequate or if it is diminished. It also helps to know the size of the kidneys and if they are enlarged and / or inflamed.
- Creatinine : is a parameter included in most routine blood tests. Both the creatinine parameter in urine and blood is taken into account. Creatinine is a waste product of muscle metabolism, which accumulates in the blood when the kidneys do not work properly.
- Urea : Urea is a waste product, which is eliminated through the urine when the kidneys function properly. Uremia occurs when the kidneys do not work properly and urea begins to accumulate in the blood.
- Albumin : When the kidneys do not work properly, it is common to find proteins in the urine, as well as an excess of albumin in the blood.
After suspecting about the presence of a possible pathology or kidney disease, and find some blood or urine parameters altered (as can be a value of high creatinine or the existence of high urea ) it is necessary to prescribe more tests. The most common are the following:
- Creatinine clearance : it consists of an analysis that studies the volume of creatinine eliminated in the urine during 24 hours, and it is compared with a later blood analysis (which is usually done the next day, when the urine test is delivered). For this it is necessary to collect the urine in a pot of between 1.5 to 2 liters for 24 hours.
- Glomerular filtration rate : is a useful test to measure how the kidneys are filtering creatinine. It helps to obtain an estimated information of the amount of blood that passes through the glomeruli, tiny filters of the kidneys.
As we see, in addition to discovering some of the symptoms that may arise when suffering or suffering from kidney disease, we must bear in mind that clear signs do not always appear. However, the tests and analyzes of both blood and urine present today will help to discover how well the kidneys work and whether or not there really is a kidney condition.