There is no doubt that the oats It has become a cereal that, in recent years, has become really fashionable. Mainly because of the knowledge, on the part of the general public, of the different qualities and nutritional properties it offers. And, also, to be considered a delicious nutritious food, ideal for athletes and also for those who follow a diet of weight loss (its contribution in fat is very little, compared to its richness in fiber and its content in complex carbohydrates).
But, as is obvious, to be able to enjoy the qualities of any type of food (as in this case happens with oats), it is necessary to know how we can prepare it in the kitchen; especially without that it can suppose a loss of nutrients -especially vitamins and minerals- and of other related properties, especially if we boil it for too long.
Main mistakes that we should avoid
In addition to following the proper steps to prepare the oatmeal, depending on our personal taste, if the result is not at first expected, it is quite possible that we have made some mistake. Do you know which are the most common? Take note:
- Let the oats boil too long: Whether you cook it over a fire with milk, any vegetable drink, or water, you may leave it on fire for a long time. If so, several things can happen. The main one is that it ends up forming a difficult mass to eat, being very pasty and hard.
- Choose water instead of milk: Although there are many people who prefer to use water for cooking instead of milk, the truth is that opting for milk will enjoy a much more nutritious and complete food. In addition, it is true that with milk the result is better, since it helps to make the oatmeal softer and creamier.
- Be careful if the oatmeal sticks to the saucepan: It is very important to remove the oats during cooking. In this way we will avoid that the flakes stick to the bottom of the bucket, and that they form annoying and uncomfortable lumps. This is true whether we choose to cook the oatmeal on the fire or in the microwave. In fact, in case you opt for the microwave, it is recommended to remove every 45-50 seconds.
- Be patient (with 5 minutes enough): It is also possible that you hurry and remove the oats from the fire ahead of time. If so, and it has already happened to you at some point, you have probably seen how oatmeal flakes feel hard, and are uncomfortable to eat. The key is to let the oats cook for at least 5 minutes, so that the flakes swell a little and soften.
How to cook oats easily at home
Now, once we know the main mistakes we can make each time we cook oats for breakfast or snack, it is the right time to proceed to know how it is possible to prepare it at home to enjoy all its nutritional qualities.
It is the simplest, easiest and easiest option. In fact, it is the most usual way to prepare the traditional -and delicious- oat porridge . You just have to add 1 cup of milk to a saucepan. Put on the fire and bring to a boil. When you reach this point add 5 tablespoons of oatmeal flakes (I prefer it fine, since its result is better), and while stirring, lower the heat a little and let the cereals cook for at least 5 minutes. The oatmeal will be ready when it forms a smooth and creamy paste. Once achieved, extinguish the fire, serve and sweeten to taste.
2. In the microwave
It is another fast option that is gaining followers in recent times. You just have to put the bowl of milk in the microwave along with the 5 tablespoons of oatmeal flakes. Although the cooking time, at maximum power, lasts between 1 minute and a half and 2 minutes, it is convenient to stop the microwave every 45 seconds, and stir well the oatmeal (being careful not to burn yourself, since the outside bowl will be hot ).
3. Prepare the oatmeal without cooking
It is another option to prepare the oatmeal even more curious if possible, since it does not need cooking (but it does leave the oatmeal soaked during the night before). To prepare it you only have to pour milk in a glass container that you can close hermetically. Add the oatmeal to taste, stir well so that both ingredients are integrated, and leave to rest in the refrigerator throughout the previous night. The next day the oatmeal will be ready.