Although the high cholesterol It is a real problem for health, the truth is that having high levels of a certain cholesterol is not a problem, more is a benefit and a guarantee of health.
Obviously, we are referring to the so-called HDL cholesterol (also known by the name of good cholesterol ). And it is a healthy fat that is opposed to the negative effects of baptized as bad cholesterol (or LDL cholesterol ).
Unlike what many people think, cholesterol is essential and essential for the proper functioning of our body , since it is vital for cell formation or neuronal activity.
However, LDL cholesterol stays in the arteries, narrowing them and increasing cardiovascular risk, while HDL cholesterol acts on the LDL preventing it from "sticking" in the arteries .
What is good cholesterol or HDL?
He good cholesterol (also know as HDL cholesterol or high density lipoprotein ) is a type of cholesterol that helps in a very positive way when removing cholesterol from the blood, which in turn prevents the accumulation of fat and the formation of plaque.
Benefits of good cholesterol or HDL
- It helps eliminate cholesterol from the blood.
- Avoid the accumulation of fat.
- Avoid the formation of plaque.
Normal values of good cholesterol or HDL
The specialists estimate that HDL cholesterol greater than 60 mg / dL helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease , being considered therefore as positive these normal HDL values .
Therefore, those who have HDL cholesterol better than 40 mg / dL are at greater risk.
For this reason, the most advisable is maintain HDL cholesterol between 40 and 70 mg / dl .
How to increase the values of good cholesterol or HDL
- Practice physical exercise at least three times a week for 20 minutes each time.
- Follow a balanced and healthy diet.
- Do not consume foods rich in saturated fats.
- Lose weight if there is excess weight.
- No Smoking.
- Avoid stress.
- Increase the consumption of foods that raise good cholesterol: such as blue fish (salmon, herring, sardines, tuna, trout ...), seafood, nuts, olive oil, avocado, broccoli or garlic.
Image | gkdavie