When it comes to enjoying good health, it is vital to follow a diet as healthy and balanced as possible, consuming 3 to 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables each day, and each week of 2 to 3 servings of fish, of 1 2 servings of meats, legumes and whole grains.
When we talk about a balanced diet tends to be very common to think that all fats are bad or harmful to health, when the reality is that fats, especially if they are good unhealthy, play their role in our body and therefore the consume of fat foods It is always advisable.
Of course, the fundamental thing is to opt for those foods rich in healthy fats , as well as the low fat foods , since in this type of food we will always find good fats , and therefore much healthier from a nutritional point of view.
What are good healthy fats?
- Monounsaturated fats : they are fats that reduce the denominated like "bad fats", increasing the good ones in the blood (therefore, they help to increase the figures of HDL cholesterol ). In addition to these cardiovascular benefits, it also helps control blood sugar levels.
- Polyunsaturated fats : they tend to reduce the levels of high cholesterol much more effective than monounsaturated fats, although there is no doubt that for this function it is best to opt for omega 3 fatty acids. The consumption of those foods rich in polyunsaturated fats are recommended along with the consumption of foods with a high content of Omega 3 fatty acids, since their benefits are even greater.
- Omega-3 fatty acids : they help in a very positive way to prevent cardiovascular diseases, especially coronary diseases. They also help prevent cancer or inflammation of the joints.
Where to find good fats
- Where do you find monounsaturated fats? Especially in oils (such as olive oil, peanut oil and canola oil), in nuts (almonds, peanuts and cashews) and fruits (such as avocados).
- Where do you find polyunsaturated fats? Especially in nuts (such as nuts), in seeds and cereals (such as flax seeds or whole grains), and in vegetable oils.
- Where to find omega-3 fatty acids? Especially in fish, shellfish, nuts (like nuts) and in vegetable oils (such as soybean oil).