The depression It is considered a problem that, nowadays, increasingly affects more and more people, due not only to the rhythm of life that we live practically every day, but to the economic and labor crisis so terrible that we are suffering for some years.
Many experts say that depression occurs or appears due to a decrease in the levels of serotonin Y noradrenaline , two neurotransmitters linked to the state of mind.
In addition to going to a specialist since the first symptoms appear, from home through diet and nutrition that we follow every day we can reduce the symptoms.
A good example is to follow an adequate feeding against depression , being fundamental the monitoring of a balanced diet, always rich in healthy foods, we ensure the correct contribution of nutrients that our body, and in particular our nervous system, so much needs.
To help you in this regard there are essential nutrients that provide interesting benefits and properties in the treatment of depression:
- Group B vitamins : Vitamin B6, B9 and B12 stand out because they help increase serotonin levels.
- Vitamin C : it is useful in case of depression, thanks to the fact that it helps to reduce vanadium levels (mineral declared as guilty of bipolar depression).
- Calcium : it has antidepressant properties. In addition, it is a mineral beneficial for growth.
- Potassium : it is a mineral that calms the nervous system and relieves depression.
- Magnesium : provides nutritional benefits similar to potassium and calcium.
The best foods to provide these essential nutrients
- To provide B vitamins: oats, potatoes, peppers, carrots, lettuce, spinach, asparagus and cabbage.
- To provide vitamin C: citrus fruits, kiwis, papayas, strawberries, onions, peppers, garlic and tomatoes.
- To provide calcium: nuts (almonds, walnuts and chestnuts), avocado, mangoes, figs, apples, bananas, onions and garlic.
- To provide potassium: banana, coconuts, avocados, melons, artichokes, potatoes, watercress, pumpkins, Swiss chard, sesame and walnuts.
- To provide magnesium: soy, dates, dried beans, brown rice, brewer's yeast, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, parsley, dried figs and peas.
What food should we follow, useful against depression?
As we have seen, there is no doubt that following a healthy and balanced diet, especially rich in fruits, vegetables, fresh vegetables, fish, nuts and legumes, is one of the best options at the time of preventing the appearance of depression .
This is mainly due to a truly basic question: with the monitoring of a balanced diet, always rich in healthy foods, we ensure the correct contribution of nutrients that our body, and in particular our nervous system, so much needs.
And is that consuming dairy products, eggs or nuts for example ensures a correct contribution of tryptophan, an amino acid precursor of serotonin.
Eating meat or certain nuts such as almonds or nuts allows us to avoid iron deficiency, which can become an important cause for low moods.
We should not forget either those foods rich in B vitamins, such as whole grains , the wheat germ or the legumes.