Within the different food intolerances that are known so far, the celiac It stands out as one of the most common and one that tends to affect a fairly large number of people (along with lactose intolerance ).
With regard to the celiac , consists of a intestinal disease, which affects genetically predisposed individuals, when they eat foods that contain gluten , a protein that is part of the flour of cereals, such as barley, wheat, oats and rye.
When gluten comes in contact with the intestinal mucosa it tends to produce a series of immune-based inflammatory reactions, which can cause serious damage to the small intestine.
The normal thing is that celiac disease is not diagnosed until advanced ages, since in many cases celiac disease tends to occur as a disease without symptoms (that is, asymptomatic). However, it is true that the number of celiac babies and children tends to be greater every time.
Taking into account that the gluten-free diet does not contain cereals with this protein , which are especially rich in fiber, is usually very common the celiac person suffers from constipation .
Why does constipation appear in celiacs?
One of the main causes of the appearance of constipation in celiacs is the elimination of products made from cereals with gluten , which stand out precisely because they are rich in fiber: from flours to bread, to cereals for breakfast or cookies.
Thus, as the gluten-free diet is usually low in plant fiber , this causes an alteration of the intestinal rhythm, so that the celiac person can present a tendency to constipation .
There are certain guidelines, tips and tricks that can help prevent constipation in people with celiac disease .
How to avoid constipation in coeliacs
- Eat vegetables and fruits every day : when a person can not consume fiber through foods with gluten, the best way to provide it to our body is from vegetables and fruits. Therefore, the key is to introduce in our diet 2 to 3 vegetables and fruits every day. For example, spinach, Swiss chard, tomatoes, green peas or green beans, and fruits such as apples, pears, bananas or apricots.
- Eat legumes 3 times a week : they provide natural fiber for our organism, highlighting legumes such as chickpeas, lentils, beans or soybeans.
- Eat whole grains : do not forget to add to your weekly diet both brown rice and whole foods without gluten.
- Drink liquid in abundance : it is another of the best options to prevent and avoid constipation. The best? Drink 1.5 to 2 liters of water every day.
- Practice physical exercise : Did you know that physical exercise is one of the best habits that help prevent constipation? Especially if it is practiced in the morning, since it is useful to activate the bowel movement.
Image | Andrea_Nguyen