The Crepes they can not only be made with wheat flour. In fact, they can be easily prepared with any type of flour. As is the case with buckwheat crepes about whose recipe we want to talk to you on this occasion, a different but wonderful option that can serve as a base for sweet or savory dishes.
Also known by the name of buckwheat , buckwheat is a type of wheat that is actually a pseudocereal, being commonly used as rice or quinoa when used in the form of grain as garnish. Regarding its flour, it is usually used in bakery or confectionery, although its lack of gluten leads to it not being so used in bread making, since it does not produce the "fluffiness" that is required in a wide variety of breads.
However, it is used in the preparation of pastry recipes, for example, it could be the case of the crepes that we propose in this recipe. From a nutritional point of view is a type of flour especially rich in vitamins of group B, also providing magnesium, essential for energy.
- 3 cups buckwheat flour
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 450 ml of whole milk
- 250 ml of water
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
How to prepare buckwheat crepes
- In a large bowl sift the flour and the pinch of salt to taste. Make a hole in the center and add half the milk. It is very important that you mix it with flour little by little, gradually. Form a thick raisin that has no lumps. Then add the rest of the milk, mix again, and cover with clear film. Reserve for 45 minutes, letting the dough rest.
- After this time, remove the clear film and add 175 ml of water. Mix a little and then slowly add the rest of the water. The dough should acquire rather light cream consistency. Add a pinch of ground cinnamon and mix again.
- Melt half of the butter and add it to the previous cream. Beat well until completely incorporated.
- Put a nonstick skillet 22-23 centimeters in diameter to the fire. Put the rest of the butter, move the pan to cover the entire surface, and with the help of a ladle little full of dough pour it in the center. Raise the pan immediately and tilt it so that the dough moves sideways, so you get a dough as thin as possible.
- Cook the pancake until it has a golden color and holes start to appear on its surface. Then turn it carefully with the help of a spatula, and cook the other side until it sets.
- Do the same with the rest of the dough, until you finish with it.
How to eat buckwheat crepes
The truth is that as these crepes are tremendously versatile, the truth is that they can serve perfectly for both sweet and savory dishes. For example, if you want a sweet recipe you can add homemade fruit jam, agave syrup, natural yogurt with fruit or panela.
However, if you want a salty option, did you know that ricotta cheese combines very well with this dough? You can, for example, fill crepes with ricotta cheese, chopped basil and thinly sliced cherry tomatoes. The result you will love.
Images | Istockphoto