Although we are at the beginning of October it is still possible to enjoy the delicious and exquisite blackberries , those wonderful edible fruits that although they come from different vegetable species, all have some characteristics in common that they share almost practically to perfection. And it is that although the blackberry season is between the months of August and september , a very good option to enjoy them all year round is preparing a simple home blackberry jam .
How? The truth is that its preparation is truly simple. It only takes about 20 minutes of preparation and between 30 to 40 minutes of cooking. Maybe? It gives us the possibility to eat berries all year, even when we are no longer in the season of default.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 1 kg of sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of pectin or powder agar
How to prepare the blackberry jam
It is recommended to use freshly picked blackberries, in this way we will make sure that they are fresh and in an optimum state of conservation.
- Wash the blackberries well under the water and clean them. Then pass them through the masher to crush them as much as possible. Reservation.
- Split the lemon in half and squeeze it to get its juice. Reservation.
- In an ideal casserole for jams place the mashed blackberries and sugar. Add the teaspoon of lemon juice and the thickener. It is necessary and advisable to let it rest all night, so cover it and reserve it.
- The next day put the casserole on the fire and bring to a boil. Then cook all the ingredients to the fire, stirring occasionally with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Check the consistency. If you want it a little thicker you can leave it a few more minutes on the fire.
- At the end of the foam cooking (removing the foam that forms on the top with the help of a slotted spoon).
- Place in glass jars with airtight seal caps. It is advisable to fill them almost to the edge, closing the pressure caps and then putting them out. Reserve the jam until the jars are cold. Once cold, put a label on each bottle with the date of packaging. Then you can keep it perfectly in the refrigerator.
What to do if I want the jam to have a long preservation?
If you want the marmalade to last longer in perfect condition, it is advisable to sterilize the glass jars in the water bath. To do this you will only have to place them inside a tall pot and well covered with boiling water, leaving them for 25 minutes. After this time remove them from the pot when the water has cooled.
Recipe of blackberry jam with agave syrup instead of sugar
If you want to make another option for different jam jam, we suggest another recipe that you will surely love. On this occasion we substitute sugar for agave syrup.
- 1 kg of blackberries
- 250 g of agave syrup
- 100 ml of water
- 1 level teaspoon of pectin
- The juice of half a lemon
How to prepare the blackberry jam with agave syrup
- Clean the blackberries well and wash them.
- In a pot or casserole for jams put the washed blackberries and the lemon juice over a low heat for 25 minutes. Remove from time to time with the help of a wooden spoon, to prevent the berries from sticking to the bottom.
- When the blackberries are tender add the agave syrup and the thickener and rise to a high heat to start boiling.
- With the help of a skimmer, slowly remove the foam that forms at the top. Cook for 10-11 more minutes.
- Once ready enter the jam still hot in glass jars with tight-fitting lids, almost to the edge, and seal them under pressure. Then place the jars or jars upside down.
- Place a label on the bottle with the date of packaging.
- To keep it, once cold you can reserve it in the fridge.
Images | Istockphoto