When we think of Italian cuisine, the first dishes that come to mind are pasta and pizza, but did you know that there are also other traditional and original options from this wonderful country, very rich culinary, and that will probably surprise you? It is the case of zucchini flowers , an authentic gastronomic delicacy, little known in many Spanish cuisines. The result is even better when we batter them, as is the case with the traditional Italian recipe Fiori di zucca fritti .
It is a really tasty crunchy dish, very easy to make at home. It is ideal to enjoy during the months of spring or summer, since for the result to be the expected one it is necessary to elaborate them when the flowers of zucchini are very fresh. Taking into account that the time of these vegetables is during the seasons indicated, they are an excellent nutritious option as a light and innovative dish.
- 12 flowers of zucchini
- 3 eggs
- 200 g of white flour
- Half glass of cold water
- a pinch of salt
- Extra virgin olive oil
How to make zucchini flowers in batter
- Gently, to avoid breaking, clean the flowers of zucchini eliminating both the pistil and the hard leaves that you will find in the base.
- In a deep dish beat the eggs adding a pinch of salt. Then, continuing to beat, add the flour. Continue beating to avoid lumps forming. Add half a glass of cold water and mix again. It should be a smooth and homogeneous mass, smooth. Let it rest for half an hour.
- Put extra virgin olive oil in a pan over the heat and heat.
- While the oil is heating, dip the flowers one by one into the pasta we have prepared before. They should be uniformly covered.
- Once the oil is hot, shake the excess paste from the flowers on the plate, and fry them on both sides.
- Reserve on a plate with absorbent paper, and serve them still hot.
Yoghurt sauce recipe to accompany the battered zucchini flowers
Although any accompaniment goes well with these delicious flowers of zucchini battered, to enjoy them even more, it is necessary to make a sauce in which to submerge them, which helps to reinforce their flavor and texture. The yogurt sauce that we propose to you on this occasion is an excellent option.
- 2 natural yogurts
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- Fresh mint leaves
- Put the two yogurts in a bowl and whisk it all very well.
- Peel the onion and chop it very finely. Wash the pepper, remove its top and inner seeds, and also cut them finely.
- Add all the ingredients in the blender jar (along with the mint leaves after washing them), and whisk it all well.
- List! Accompany with the zucchini flowers, pouring it into a small bowl.
As we can see, zucchini flowers are tremendously easy to make. But it is even more the yogurt sauce with which we can accompany them.