If you are a habitual drinker of tea , and you are passionate about this drink as much as we are, it is quite likely that you have already discovered some of the tea varieties better known and disparate. But although the different types of Green Tea are actually the most popular, did you know that there are also different varieties of black tea ?
This is the case of the one known as Assam tea , a type of black tea known also in this country as the black tea from India . It is a tea that is produced exclusively in a town located in the north of the country, which is also known by the same name ( Assam ). In fact, it was from this region that Assam tea spread throughout the country to reach the popularity it enjoys today.
It is characterized for being a region that has a monsoon climate and a height of more than 1,500 meters, ideal conditions for the Camellia sinensis (the tea plant) grows without problems.
How is tea Assam and what is it?
It consists of a black tea of brown color that tends to acquire dark reddish tones, which usually reminds rooibos tea . That in appearance, because its flavor stands out for being strong and sour, organoleptic qualities that are very different from rooibos, which is known to be a slightly sweet and soft infusion, with a more pleasant flavor.
That is to say, It's a black tea with body , of dark appearance and flavor much more pronounced than other varieties, especially by the fermentation process to which it is subjected during its production in Assam.
How is it taken in India?
As with most black teas, regardless of the variety, it is traditional to take Assam tea accompanied by milk , either at breakfast or at noon to be a slightly stimulating drink.
We must remember that in India other beverages made with black tea and milk, as is the case with Chai tea with milk , which differs from Assam tea in that spices are added, thus becoming a powerfully stimulating, aromatic and slightly spicy drink.
Benefits of the most important Assam tea
- Slightly stimulating : unlike other varieties of black tea as for example is the case of Masala Chai tea (which is made with spices), Assam tea also stands out as a stimulant drink, but in smaller quantities. However, it is a drink that acts as a tonic and natural stimulator of the body, hence it is usual to take it in the morning, at breakfast, at noon, after lunch and at snack (but never at night) .
- Rich in antioxidants : As with most teas, Assam tea stands out as a beverage with a high content of antioxidants, especially catechins and polyphenols . As you surely know, antioxidants help reduce the action of free radicals, prevent premature aging and reduce the occurrence of serious diseases.
- Good for your cardiovascular health : it is a beverage that helps take care of the cardiovascular system, being useful for example when lowering high levels of both cholesterol and triglycerides. In addition, it acts as a natural cardioprotector (that is, protects the heart), while helping to prevent fat from accumulating inside the arteries, reducing the risk of hardening.
- Tonic of the nervous system and the brain : precisely because of its stimulating and toning qualities, it is useful to improve the sharpness of thought and memory, as well as improve alertness and concentration (thanks to its caffeine content).
- Decreases the risk of Parkinson's disease : According to a study in which analyzed the qualities of Assam tea, regular consumption of two to four cups of this tea a day would significantly reduce the risk of developing Parkinson's disease.
Images | ISTOCKPHOTO / THINKSTOCK