Unlike what is mistakenly thought, the truth is that cholesterol is essential for our body, as it is a biosynthetic precursor of vitamin D, bile acids and steroid hormones (such as testosterone and estrogen). In addition, it contributes to the maintenance of cell membrane fluidity, establishing interactions with certain membrane proteins that can regulate its activity.
That is to say, among other main functions, bile salts are formed from cholesterol, vitamin D and also provides fluidity to the cell membrane.
But when its presence is excessive in the blood (and for example we have the high cholesterol ), tends to form atheromas or atherogenic plaques in the blood vessels, thus associating with a great diversity of cardiovascular risks.
The diet has a lot to say in this sense, so that depending on the nutrition that we follow our cholesterol levels they can increase or decrease. We can in this case pay attention to the foods with LDL cholesterol (considered the bad cholesterol), and the foods with HDL cholesterol , increasing the levels of this good cholesterol.
When we are diagnosed with hypercholesterolemia (that is, high cholesterol), it is likely that if the figures are not very high, the doctor only advises us to change dietary habits and life. And a very good option in this sense is to have the food without cholesterol .
What are the best foods without cholesterol?
We must keep in mind that, although there are many foods without cholesterol or with a low cholesterol content, depending on the cooking method we choose, we will be contributing the cholesterol that it does not have: for example, when we choose frying, the most healthy options are steaming or grilling.
Between the food without cholesterol More interesting, we can highlight the following:
- Fruits, vegetables and vegetables
- Cereals and derivatives.
- Lean meats and lean and skinless birds.
- Fresh fish
- Skimmed dairy
- Nuts (consumed in moderation, are excellent heart-healthy foods).
- Other foods, such as egg white.
And what are the best anti-cholesterol, low-fat and heart-healthy foods?
We propose below a list with some of the best anti-cholesterol foods which, precisely, will help you keep your cholesterol levels at bay.
- Olive oil : It helps reduce the risk of heart attack, in addition to being rich in monounsaturated fats and vitamin E, essential nutrients to clean arteries.
- Artichokes : They are one of the most suitable foods to take care of our liver. In this sense, it contains a substance called cynarin, which makes the gallbladder work more optimally, which leads to lower levels of cholesterol in the blood.
- Almonds : They help not only to lower the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL), but to increase the good ones (HDL). A good idea is to consume a handful of almonds a day.
- Eggplants : Cooked food, with its skin and its seeds is an adequate remedy against cholesterol, since it has the advantage that it is capable of absorbing it, helping to digest it.
- Salmon : In addition to being a tasty and delicious fish, it is rich in omega 3 acids, so it helps reduce high cholesterol levels.
- Soy : They are products rich in fiber, which at the same time reduce cholesterol, helps prevent the appearance of constipation.
Image | Jackie L Chan